This post probably contains affiliate links. Which means I may earn a commission if you use them at no cost to you. Please read our boring disclosure for more info.
Have you been guided to start a spiritual blog but have no clue where to begin? I gotcha girl.
I was in the same place a few years ago but have since learned the ins and outs of blogging. So, today I want to share with you this complete tutorial to get your spiritual blog started today.
Let’s get started!
*This post probably contains affiliate links. You can read our very dry and boring disclaimer for more info.
Why Should You Start a Spiritual Blog?
There are several reasons I can list for you to start a blog. But the most important one is that you’ve been inspired to take this step. That’s why you’re here reading this post.
You have been guided to help empower and transform people’s lives with your words. It’s the same reason I’ve chosen this path. But finding your personal why can help you push forward when things are frustratingly bleak.
- Why you would step out of your comfort zone to share a message that most won’t get.
- Why you would continue to work a soul-sucking job all day and then blog at night.
- Why you would sacrifice time away from friends and family to complete blogging tasks.
When you figure out your ‘why’ then commit to it fully. Then take the inspired action the Universe gives you to reach what success looks like to you.
Do you need to niche down your blog?
I have mixed feelings about the blog niche thing. Most blogging experts will tell how important it is to concentrate on only one or two related topics. By doing that you’ll become an expert in that topic or niche.
Well, for some of us it conflicts with what we’re guided to do.
I did the whole niche thing for my first year blogging. As I’m a Gemini, being limited to two topics drove me batty. Yes, I ranked well in search engines and served a specific audience.
But I ended up despising blogging and wanted to quit. Instead, I listened to my instincts and expanded to other topics.
…and guess what? My blog traffic grew from 2,500 to 10,000 pageviews within 3 months.
So, my advice to you is to listen to the guidance from the Universe because it knows the exact path you need to take.
Choosing a Blogging Platform
There are a ton of different platforms that you can have your blog. I personally use love WordPress. So, the rest of this tutorial will be getting started on that platform.
Since things are going to get more techie, I will be using the analogy of a house to make everything easier to understand.
Choosing a Blog Name
The domain name is the address to your house and how your dream customer will find you on the internet.
But unlike a real home address, this can be literally anything that you can think of!
If you are a coach, consultant or you have a broad niche then you can brand yourself and use your own name.
You can combine words and phrases that describe your message, audience, or what you do…
If you’re struggling to find a domain name that is unique or not taken then check out these websites for inspiration!
Still not sure…then step back and meditate on it. You don’t have to pick something at this very moment. Maybe pick a few that you like and then sleep on it. Everything will reveal itself in perfect divine timing!
How to Start a Spiritual Blog on SiteGround
You’ve done the pre-work of starting your blog. Now it’s time to actually buy your domain name, hosting account, and install WordPress.
There are many hosting companies available. I’ve personally tried Bluehost, SiteGround, and A2 Hosting. My favorite is SiteGround. Their service is phenomenal, uptime is 99.99%, and the platform is very user-friendly.
However, for new bloggers, averse to tech, and on a budget then I suggest Bluehost or A2 hosting. I’ve used both services to host blogs with no issues. But again I love SiteGround.
If you want to start a blog on Bluehost then check out this tutorial. Wanna start your blog on SiteGround then keep reading.
Step 1: Buy Your Domain Name with NameCheap
You can buy your domain with SiteGround but I like to keep my domain names separate from my hosting account. So, I buy them separately using NameCheap.
If you want to purchase your domain through SiteGround then skip to step 2. Otherwise, keep reading.
Getting Started with NameCheap
- Go to NameCheap home page
- Type in the blog name you picked earlier
- Verify that the spelling is correct and it shows .com then click add to cart
- Select view cart and confirm the order
- Create an account and complete the checkout process
- Leave your Namecheap dashboard up for step #3
Step 2: Buying SiteGround Hosting
SiteGround offers three hosting packages to choose from:
The StartUp plan is perfect for a beginner blogger but you’re limited to 10,000 monthly pageviews. So just keep that in mind. I personally use the GrowBig plan because I have multiple blogs.
Whatever plan that you choose, I suggest signing up for the 24 or 36-month plan. My SiteGround 60% off partner discount is a one-time deal and the renewal is quite expensive.
- Open up a new tab in your web browser
- Go to the SiteGround Homepage and select sign-up
- Choose your hosting package and select order now
- If you’re purchasing a domain through SiteGround select ‘Register a New Domain.’
- Pick ‘I already have a domain’ if you bought one earlier through NameCheap. Then select process.
- Enter all of your personal and payment information.
- Double-check your order and select pay now
- You’ll then be taken to a thank you page and given access to your new SiteGround account.
Step 3: Connect Namecheap Domain to Siteground Hosting
You’ve bought your domain name and hosting account. Now you have to get them to talk to each other. We are going to update your DNS servers in Namecheap to make that happen.
This part is a bit more techie but I’m going to explain each step. You got this girl!
If you bought your domain name with SiteGround then skip to step #4.
- Select the orange cPanel button in your SiteGround account.
- Under the ‘Domain Section’ select addon domains.
- Enter your domain name and password. Then select add domain. You should see the new domain at the bottom of the page.
- Select the orange cPanel button again.
- On the left side, you will see your account information. Copy and paste the nameserver information in a Google Doc.
- Now go back to the browser tab with your Namecheap dashboard.
- Select the manage button by your new domain name.
- Scroll down to the ‘nameservers’ section. Select the arrow on the right to open up the menu. Then pick ‘Custom DNS.’
- Paste the two nameservers that you saved in your Google Doc. Then select the green checkmark to confirm the change. You’ll see a message at the top of the page saying the changes are being made.
- Logout of your Namecheap dashboard.
Step 4: Add Let’s Encrypt SSL
Having an SSL certificate helps you to securely log into your blog and prevent hackers from gaining your account information.
Also, Google now shows users which website is secure or not. Even if you are not processing payments, this is a way to reassure your readers that their information is being protected.
SiteGround provides free SSL certificates using Let’s Encrypt.
- Select the orange cPanel button and find the ‘security section.’
- Select Let’s Encrypt icon
- Scroll to the bottom and pick your new domain name. Then select install.
- You will see a message that the order has been put into a queue. It can take about 10 minutes or less for you to see the new domain listed.
Step 5: Install WordPress.org on SiteGround
- Select orange cPanel button and look for ‘Autoinstallers’ or ‘Wordpress tools’
- Select the WordPress icon, then ‘install now.’
- Change the ‘Choose protocol’ to https then pick your new blog name.
- In ‘Site Settings’ enter your blog name and site description. No worries if you have nothing to write. This can be updated later.
- Under the ‘Admin Account’ pick a username, password, and enter your personal email address, then select install.
Once the WordPress installation is complete you will receive the link to the back end of your blog. Bookmark that link for future reference. SiteGround will also send you an email with your log-in details.
Step 6: Change Permalink URL
The permalink is the URL for your blog post. Ideally, this should include your post keywords, and be short & sweet. WordPress will include your publishing date + the post name as a default. This is way too long. So, here’s how you can change it.
- Go to settings, then Permalink in your WordPress dashboard.
- Select ‘post name’ then save the changes.
Pick a Responsive theme
I’m sure there are thousands of blog themes on the market. Since your blog is your business, I suggest investing in a premium theme from the beginning.
They are both really simple to use and come with plenty of tutorials to help you along the way. If you aren’t afraid of a bit of tech, then I suggest any theme by Restored 316. All of these themes run on the Genesis Framework but require a bit of HTML and CSS knowledge to customize.
How to Install a WordPress Theme
After you buy your theme you’ll receive a ZIP file. Do not unzip the file just download it
- Go to ‘Appearance’ >>>Themes in your WordPress dashboard.
- Select add new, select your theme ZIP file then upload.
- Once uploaded then select Activate and you’ll now see your theme live on your blog.
How to Make Money as a Spiritual Blogger
There are numerous was that you can make money as a spiritual blogger.
Here are the 5 most common:
- Placing ads on your website
- Writing sponsored posts for brands
- Using affiliate links for product or software recommendations
- Creating your own digital product like course
- Offering your services like coaching or tarot card readings
The potential for income is only limited to your vision and imagination.
Ready to start writing
I am so proud of you! Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back! You now have the basics building blocks for your new website. You learned all about hosting, getting a domain, and installing WordPress to create your blog.
But let’s be honest… there are a lot more steps involved to be a successful spiritual blogger. So I created a video course to help you out on your journey. If you’re ready to inspire and share your authentic self with the world then sign-up below!